Sunday, November 13, 2011

Changing of Seasons at Peddler's Village







    I got out to Peddler’s Village on Friday and took a few pictures.   Right now, it seems like they are between big events, as it seems most of them come in the fall.  Their annual Scarecrow Competition was in October, and the annual Apple Festival usually occurs in early November, probably last weekend.  The next big event is the Illumination Ceremony where all the Holiday lights will go up around the park, which will probably remain lit until New Years.  And, of course, it will kick off their busiest season.  There is also the Gingerbread competition, where all the entries, or at least the highest ranking ones, will be on display in the gazebo.  The most basic rule of the competition is that every visual element of the display must be edible.  I managed to sneak in between these events, and there was still at least some fall foliage left.

  The temperatures were in the 50s and 60s, but with the wind, it felt a little colder, more like a milder winter day.  Since it was Friday, and Veterans Day, a lot of people had off, and there was no school.  There were a good number of children, at least in the enclosed section known as Giggleberry Fair.  There were plenty of people in the carousel area and in the arcades.  Just one small problem I remember. While I was in the bathroom, I heard a child mumbling something to himself, and he didn’t sound good.  As I was walking out the door, I heard him saying something about his stomach not feeling good, which sent up alarms in me right away.  I was suddenly just a little afraid of touching anything or getting too near to anybody there, in case anything was spreading around.  But so far, I am still feeling normal.  But it’s a reminder that that time of year is approaching.

  I saw some people working in the Village Green as I was walking through, probably setting up displays for the Holiday season.  There are already lights set up around the mill house, ready to be fired up on Friday night to start the season.  The transition is underway, and the season will get kicked off Friday night.


No comments:

Post a Comment