Saturday, July 23, 2011

Crazy from the Heat and Looking Ahead

Our backyard, showing the effects of heat on the grass
                                
Today, I guess I’m like most people around here.  I have been spending most of the last week indoors, since it is around 100 degrees at the moment.  Even at 9 o’clock last night, the temperature was 86 degrees.  It still felt like a steam bath with the only advantage being the absence of the scorching sun.  It’s not going to get a whole lot better in the next week, except for Monday and Tuesday, when the temperatures will dip back down into the 80’s.  That is, unless there is a change in the forecast coming.  Right now, it’s still a good time to be staying in.
  I was over at my brother’s house earlier today, helping him and his family to get ready for their trip to Long Beach Island.  I actually didn’t really help with any of the packing for the trip.  My way of making myself useful is by keeping my toddler nephew occupied so they could focus on getting their packing and other details taken care of.  Now, he and the rest of my family are at the Jersey shore.  I’ll be joining them on Thursday, since two or three days at the shore is enough for me.  I love the ocean and the LBI area, but I just don’t get into the activities as much as they do.  For one thing, I stay off the beach most of the day.  I usually only go out there in the early morning, and late afternoon and evening, which is enough for me.  I just enjoy the shore itself and the area around it, as well as the ride there and back.
  One other thing about the shore that is really appealing to me at this time is the ocean breeze, and just the much needed cooling off that it brings.  Sometimes in the evening, when there is a strong wind blowing in from the ocean, it can actually feel almost like October.  I always bring a sweatshirt, because sometimes I’ll need it.  Everyone around here could sure use a wind like that, but right now, we’ll have to stick to our swimming pools, fans and air conditioners.
  I just noticed something yesterday, and that was that there are now some leaves falling.  That’s the first visual sign I got that fall is around the corner.  But the leaves may just be drying because of the heat and lack of rain.  It seems that every summer we get a dry spell, and watch our grass turn to hay.   Right now, however, the leaves have started to fall, and we’ll start to see more and more leaves on the ground. Other than that, I start looking forward to the fall once I return from the shore.  Our rental time has been the last week in July for the last 10 years.  When we come back, it’s always on or near August  1.  The official end of summer is around September 21, but to most people in America, it runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  So when I return, it means there is about a month left to go, and it is then that  I start thinking then about the football season, the fall foliage ,and all other things associated with that season. 
  In the meantime, I’ll still be experiencing more of this heat.  Until I head to LBI on Thursday, I’ll be watching my brothers’ homes and taking care of their pets.  That will require me to head outside into the heat, at least for brief times.  It won’t be pleasant going outside, but I don’t think I’ll have to be outside for long, just a few inconveniences.  But I can sit in the air conditioning in their houses and take care of business on their computers.  I’ll just be looking forward to joining them at the shore, and then after that start looking ahead to the fall while trying as much as I can to enjoy the rest of the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment