Thursday, July 14, 2011

A River Runs to It (and past it)

Philadelphia skyline down the river

Beverly, NJ across the river from the park

Dirt path through the meadow

Another shot of the meadow
 
  Last week, I took a ride to Neshaminy State Park in Bensalem, to get some more pictures of Center City Philadelphia.  It was hot and humid, but sunny, so I thought this would be a good day to do it.  The skyscrapers are visible from the banks of the Delaware at the park, which is just outside the city limits.  I’m guessing the spot where I stood is about 10-15 miles up the river from Center City.  Aside from that, I also wanted to get some more shots of the interior of the park, and maybe of the mouth of the Neshaminy Creek.
    I got a better picture of Center City this time, but the buildings still appear fairly small.  The haze also affected the picture a little.  However, it is an improvement, and I think the best I can get with the zooming capabilities of my camera.  Next, I pointed the camera across the river to Beverly, New Jersey.  I usually only pass through Burlington County twice a year, going to and from Long Beach Island, and Beverly is out of the way.  However, I have been in that area a few times, having been to a friend’s house in nearby Willingboro, and I also rode the River Line from Burlington to Camden last year.  Although it is not visible from where I stood on the Pennsylvania side of the river, I did hear the horn from the River Line, which is basically a light rail train going between Trenton and Camden, and paralleling Route 130.
  Lastly, I took my walk alongside the macadam, and then I went a little off alongside a gravel trail.  It took me through the meadows, which I have pictured here.  It was hot, and I didn’t know exactly where the path would lead or how long it would take.  I didn’t pick up a little map pamphlet.  It took a little while, but I eventually found my way around, as the path went in a kind of semi-circle around the park, and back to the parking lots.  I did look around for a place to get some pictures of the Neshaminy as it flows into the Delaware, but I couldn’t find a clear path that could cut through the woods.  The creek wasn't visible from where I was at, except for a spot where I was faintly able to see the cattails which line the Neshaminy in the park.  Maybe I’ll try again in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment