Friday, September 9, 2011

The Ship Has Arrived

The UBC Mariel
...and the tugboat
                                     

  I’m going back to the archives for my entry today.  I’m going back to April, when I took a ride to the Bristol (PA) waterfront.  It’s one of my favorite nearby places to visit, just a nice little historic town on the Delaware River, although some of the neighborhoods surrounding the town are notoriously rough.  But I love the antiquity of Bristol Borough along the Delaware.  On top of that, it was a beautiful day, and I finally had my camera with me when a ship came by.
  After parking in the municipal parking lot and getting out of my car, I heard a faint siren, which was coming from the Burlington Bristol Bridge.  That meant it was about to open.  I left my camera in the car, so I had to run back and get it, and then hurry along the walkway to the riverfront and get into position.  I made it in time, and I was ready to go as I looked up the river and saw the ship coming, accompanied by a tugboat. 
  After I returned home, and uploading the pictures, I was able to zoom in on the name of the ship, and then look it up online.  It was the UBC Mariel, and its homeport is St John’s, Antigua.  I haven’t researched Antigua much, and don’t know much about it other than its location in the Carribean.  I assume the ship just sailed up the east coast to get there.  I didn’t look into what kind of cargo the ship might have been carrying or unloading.  I think there was much more ship traffic on the river when the US Steel Fairless Works was in operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment