Wednesday, August 24, 2011

New York State of Mind in the Park

52nd Street Band in action
  I’ve been trying to expand lately.  I like to take pictures of places, usually parks and rural settings.  That’s how my interest in photography got started in the first place.  There were places I liked to go and tell people about, but obviously, I can’t take everybody everywhere I go.  So I figured if I can’t take the people to those places, photography is a way of bring the places to the people.  I started taking pictures with disposable cameras, and then brought a point-and-shoot film camera.  Over the next few years, I received another point-and-shoot film camera, and later a point-and-shoot digital.  A few years ago, my brothers pooled together and got me a Canon A-590 Power Shot Digital.  I still don’t have an SLR, but I like the Canon I have now, and I still want to master it before I buy an SLR.
    Having taken plenty of pictures of places, I haven’t taken many pictures of people yet.  That’s where I’m trying to expand.  I started with taking some pictures of my small nephews, and I’ll eventually try to get some pictures of concerts and sporting events.  I had an opportunity last week at the park, when the 52nd Street Band played the Wednesday Night concert series.  As the name would suggest, they are a Billy Joel tribute band.  I caught only a few songs, but found a fairly decent spot to take pictures, and continue the learning process by trial and error.

  It was getting dark, so that presented another area I could expand into with my photography.  I had to play around with the modes, and then adjust the digital settings to find what would be the best kind of picture I could get.  I found one I could really use, and the others turned out too dark to really do anything with.  The process continues.  About the band, I’m not a huge Billy Joel fan, but in general I like his songs, and liked the way the 52nd Street Band played them.  To check them out, their official site is 52ndstreetband.com, and they can be found on Myspace and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment