Monday, August 15, 2011

Deer in the Camera Light

I saw this in Core Creek Park on Saturday, and right away knew that I had a very limited window of time to get a picture of that deer.  I was walking from a trail in the woods that led out into the cornfield, and there it was.  I tried to play around as much as I could, frantically adjusting the settings with my limited technical photography skills.  A natural canopy was formed by the trees and the corn, as well as the shadow on the ground to effectively form a large black tunnel.  The open field looked like a small box on a black wall, and the deer stood near the center of it, and now it was looking dead at the camera.  This isn’t something that happens every day, so I wanted to get a picture.  It wasn’t going to win a Pulitzer Prize, but it was something different.  There are lots of deer around, but they don’t just pop out and look right in my direction when I have my camera on me.
  I just did the best I could in those few seconds, with the equipment and whatever skills I had .  What’s seen in this picture is the furthest the zoom could extend.  I played around quickly with the ISO and shutter speed, to get the best light.  As far as composition, I think the result follows the general rules, but obviously a deer can move faster than I can move or adjust the camera.  In the end, though, I was able to snap the picture while he/she was still looking in my direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment