Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Historic Fallsington Day

Travis loves heavy machinery

The give and take jugglers





  Last Saturday, I visited nearby Fallsington for their annual Historic Fallsington Day.  Since my sister-in-law grew up across the main road from the village, she goes there every year.  Beside that, it offers her yet another chance to catch up with her many friends.  I’m a fan of small towns, and these kinds of main street block parties, so I came along.  As with most block parties like this, the streets were lined mainly with concession stands and arts and crafts vendors.  There were plenty of hot dog stands, since hot dogs are easy to make and a good way to raise money at events like this. The center stage was at a large x-shaped intersection known as Meetinghouse Square, which was probably the center of the village back in colonial times, when it actually was a small village surrounded by farmland. 

  These kinds of events are naturally family-oriented, so there was plenty of family entertainment.  Several entertainers were on the program, but we were just there long enough to see a set by the Give and Take Jugglers, and a children’s folksinger whose name I forgot.  When we parked in the grass at the elementary school, we pulled up next to a young woman in unusual looking tight clothes who was freaked out by a spider she saw in her car. The insect had disappeared, but remained somewhere inside the car and now she couldn’t find it.  I saw her a little while later. It turned out she was a gymnast and trapeze artist who performed with the jugglers.  I didn’t get a picture of her performing, because I didn’t have the camera on hand at the time.  But I did get about half of her on the edge of one of my photos, while she was off to the side.

  We headed back home after about two hours.  The program lasted until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and there were several more shows to go at the main stage.  My sister-in-law didn’t get to meet all her friends, but since we had the baby, we were on his schedule, and had to get him home for a nap.  We were soon on our way, and that was it for this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment