Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Indian Rock




 Bucks County Community College was a blessing for me.  For one thing, just about any resident of Bucks County could get in.  I never had to take an SAT.  BCCC was dirt cheap compared to the four year universities, and the quality of the education was exceptional.  In addition, the campus sits in a nice rural environment.  Although there are housing developments, shopping centers, and highways nearby, it was removed far enough from these things to provide its own sense of isolation.  This is mainly because it borders Tyler State Park.  Across the road from Bucks is another small community park.  That left the campus fairly well surrounded by woods, farms, and fields.
 After classes, and during the afternoons when I was on campus, my favorite place to go was Indian Rock, which was a rocky ledge on a steep hill overlooking the Neshaminy Creek and Tyler Park.  To get there, I would walk along the patio of Tyler Hall, which was once a mansion, and down a set of stairs to the rocks, which actually form their own natural steps.   It was a frequent hangout for a lot of students on their downtime, but it was usually vacant when I went there.
 I wish I could have finished my degree right there at Bucks, even if I had to pay regular university tuition for the last two years.  Later, something like that was possible, at least for a while.  Bucks partnered with Temple to allow students to complete their bachelor’s right there on the Newtown Campus, for certain majors.  (They may have also had a similar deal with LaSalle, but I don’t remember).  However, I think that program was discontinued.   I still visit Bucks fairly often, and I’ll sometimes take a class there.  And  I still go to Indian Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment