Friday, May 13, 2011

Thoughts on Gas Prices

  So far, I haven’t written much about relevant news topics, but the accompanying photograph conveys an issue that everyone has an opinion about.  I snapped it near my home in Langhorne, PA, on the corner of Routes 213 and 413. The good news about this photo is that the price was 4 cents higher yesterday.  At least for now, the price at the pump is dropping.  I have heard lots of ideas read lots of articles about what drives the price of gas.  The fear I have is one day this price will look good, and I will wish it could be $4.17 again.     
  According to most mainstream media, the underlying cause is the worldwide demand, especially from new developing economies.   Everyone is familiar with the term “globalization”, as both China and India now house booming economies.   In addition to their rapidly expanding markets, both countries have populations of over a billion people.   More and more energy will be needed to fuel the urbanization and modernization of these emerging countries, especially with that many people.  And that is before the millions of new cars go out on the road.  All of that increased demand, of course, will put upward pressure on the price of gas everywhere.
  My personal hope is that we can lessen that demand, in other words decrease our dependence on the automobile.  That would be the best solution to high gas prices.  There are suggestions that come to mind right away. Rebuild the nation’s rail system, and create new railways that can connect cities to suburbs.  Open up some of the freight lines to passenger trains.  Create and expand bus routes that operate in the suburbs.  I realize the downside is that for these things to be practical there has to be a demand for them.  I don’t know what would have to happen for people to become more open to foregoing the car for transit.  My gut feeling is that if there is that a popular demand for transit in the suburbs will only come reluctantly.
  Another alternative making the news is, of course, “green cars”.  Detroit is now just beginning to put electric cars out on the road.  Hydrogen cars have been talked about for a long time, although I don’t know if they would be considered green cars.   I have also read about cars that run on compressed air.  Even if nothing can match gasoline for powering a car, widespread usage of these alternative fuels can at least somewhat reduce the dependence on oil.
  I am also fully aware that none of the alternatives I suggested above are anything new.  They have all been spoken of and written about before.  it now seems that at least the green cars are being deemed practical and being put in use. I don’t know how much that will change the landscape, but it would be good if they did catch on, and that more transit oriented development would take place.  It just sounds better to me than looking back at that picture someday and wishing that gas was $4.17 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment