Monday, May 9, 2011

Willow Trees in the Spring

  Another park in my area that I like to frequent is Falls Township Park in Fairless Hills, Pa, near the old U.S. Steel mill.  A good part of the park area is taken up by two lakes, one larger, and one smaller.  The park maintains a peaceful atmosphere, but the sounds of civilization are not far away from it.  It sits near Route 13 and the Amtrak Northeast Corridor line.  Therefore, cars and train horns can be heard, but somewhat in the distance.  The Trenton skyline can be seen nearby, but not right in the park. 
  About a month ago, I got a shot of these willow trees.  The spring blossom foliage had by then became visible, leaving a red tint on the trees in the background.  However, it seems the willow trees stand out as being more developed than the trees in the wooded area surrounding the lake, or maybe the yellow/green color just stood out because it was brighter.  Willow trees seem to have a peaceful quality about them.  I associate them with rural places, standing near farmhouses, or next to flowing streams. Maybe it’s just me who thinks like this, but I don’t really see much of them in urban settings.  That is probably because they don’t fit in too well with the urban infrastructure.  They apparently grow best in soft ground, and not surrounded by concrete, or near any pipes or basins.  I remember being told that willow trees have a way of wrapping their roots around pipes and crushing them.  I tried to look this up on Wikipedia, but I couldn’t find anything specifically about that.  I have to admit, I didn’t read the whole article because I just couldn’t get past the scientific jargon.  I ended up skimming, and I didn’t see anything about how they grow in different environments.  Other sources I checked on the internet seem to back this up, however.  People have had problems with them. 
  Regardless of all that, they looked good here, at least to me, and made a good picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment